Haringey Climate Forum 4020

Present: Joyce Rosser, Chris Barker, Aisling Buckley, Jeremy Cassidy, Caroline Simpson, Robert Thairu, Jill Boswell, Quentin Given, Cllr Bob Hare, Debbie Campbell, Ayer Ozinel
1. Apologies – Alan Morton, Pam Harling, Joe Baker
2. Matters arising from minutes – we have heard no more re the Zero 50 report. Quentin to check with Joe Baker and report.
3. Waste and recycling trends and issues. Debbie Campbell and Ayer Ozinel reported.
• Total waste levels seemed to be going up in early 2015 but then tailed off, staying flat overall. This year 2% growth was predicted but again seems to be flatlining.
• Recycling levels have dropped 39.1% to 36.2%. This is partly because people are recycling less but also because the amount of packaging, by weight, has reduced. More glass bottles replaces by plastic etc.
• The value of recyclates had falled but is now rising slowly. Glass is still sent for road aggregate but starting to look at other uses.
• The other issue is contamination, which has probably reduced recycling rates by 1.5%. New regulations from 2012 regarding the quality of recyclate and the MRF code of practice 2014 have seen more loads rejected and being sent to incinerator or landfill. Main contaminants are food, black bags, nappies. The loads to get compressed a bit and shaken up so contamination does spread.
• MRF accepts contamination levels up to 20%. Around 13% considered normal, 7-8% considered good.
• There is visual inspection of loads when delivered, plus regular sampling of loads – about 60kg samples taken and analysed. It costs extra £80-100 per tonne when rejected, and lorry takes 4 tonnes so that’s £360-400 per load.
• There are league tables for the different collection rounds.
• Veolia and Council have tried different tactics and messaging to see what works. Soft messages seem to work with people who are generally more positive, whereas enforcement messages work with people who are less interested. Have tried different types of stickers on bins, “Yeses”, “Noes” and “Both”.
• Pressure on private landlords works, in one example reduced contamination by 72%, but sometimes this also results in less recycling overall.
• Veolia has 5 outreach staff, of whom 1.5 work in schools.
• Family homes seem to be worst. Some people hide non-recyclables under recyclables in their bins, clearly deliberate.
• Need to get back to basic simple messages. If in doubt, leave it out. Rinse food containers.
• NLWA boroughs have agreed to accept the same materials – hitherto it has been different. Some boroughs do a pre-sort at intermediate transfer stations eg Hornsey Road.
• Proposals to charge for garden waste and bulky goods are still being worked up. But evidence from other boroughs is that it won’t much reduce collection rates or increase dumping.
• There is a lot of scepticism in some areas about what happens to recycling, we need to challenge this.
Action points
a) Ayer to send Quentin current webpage so we can circulate it (it might need updating post the NLWA agreement).
b) Debbie to circulate any conclusions re messaging we can incorporate into newsletters etc.
c) All of us to think how we can communicate this via residents associations etc.
d) Debbie to circulate possible dates for Biffa MRF visit (it is easier to visit the Veolia one in Southwark but that is much smaller.

4. EER project.
EER was one of three recipients of 4020 grants this year, agreed in July but not paid until December so delaying them. Aims are to reduce dumping and increase recycling participation esp of food waste in Noel Park. Robert reported that with 3 volunteers he has engaged over 100 people, mainly at stalls; given out 150 rolls of liners and 10 ventilated caddies, but 50 more caddies and 350 rolls of liners still to go. Clean-up Russell Park event 9 April. Robert hopes to have worked up a case study about how to achieve better recycling and lower contamination, as a result of door-to-door enquiries.

5. Edmonton energy-from-waste incinerator.
Quentin reported that NLWA had not being willing to agree to come to a Forum meeting to discuss carbon emission aspects of plans to build larger incinerator. Friends of the Earth groups across N London have now written to GLA and to the borough reps on the NLWA asking them to review the decision and at least to debate issues in public. Noted that alternative approaches eg AD & MBT had practical issues.

6. Other projects
Both had been delayed by late payment of grant. Global Group is now working with households in Northumberland Park on replacing standard bulbs with LEDs, and giving energy saving tips. Selby Centre is running workshops on making simple solar chargers, and will produce a video.

7. Next meeting
Agreed that Decentralised Energy / district heating should be the next topic, Quentin to invite Simone Sullivan and look at possible dates.